Five Experiences You’ll Have in Your First Year of USPS
Your Job Expectations When Working With The USPS Service
If you are a serious and ambitious individual, then USPS Service is the place to work in. The money is good, but you will have to earn it with hard work. The working hours are reasonable and if you know what to expect, you will have a lot of fun on the job. You will meet so many people. First, you don’t require any training but instead, all you have to do is apply and take the Postal exam 473. If you manage to be among the top three candidates, then your chances of being called for an interview are very high. If you get the job, you will have an on the job instructor to teach you everything you need to know about the job. Once you get the post office employment, here are the experiences that you will probably have during your first year of service.
Things You Will Face in Postal Service:
1. Good Pay and Benefit Packages The USPS has excellent pay and benefits package, which starts from $21 per hour, for all entry jobs. If you can go extra hours in some weeks, your annual salary will be somewhere over $50,000.00, which means your living standard will improve. For those who love outdoor activities, US Postal Service would be an ideal place to work as one of the postal carriers because apart from doing what you love, there would be an excellent compensation in income for you.
2. A feeling of fulfillment Your first year working for the USPS will bring you a feeling of fulfillment knowing that you are carrying out a community service. If there is one thing that can make you feel like you’re living a worthy life, then it’s knowing that you’re contributing to the happiness and progress of the community. People with the post office jobs interact with a lot of people from all walks of life on a daily basis, which makes them become better human beings.
3. Money isn’t everything Even though the income is good not mentioning other benefits, you will realize that money is not everything and you only needed it because you did not have it back then. You will experience that money can never be a motivation to work and if you don’t love your postal service job, I bet you will leave before the end of two years at the USPS.
4. Soft skills are important Another experience that you will have in your first year in USPS is that soft skills are more useful than you thought. Even those with technical skills such as postal technicians, postal clerks and others, you will realize that your boss, colleagues and the people you serve value your possession of communication skills over your technical skills. You will need to learn good leadership skills as well as critical thinking skills for you to prosper in this place.
5. Challenges You will experience a lot of challenges during your first year of service. Among the challenges, include exposure to elements especially for postal carriers, unrealistic demands from the customers, learning how to be a team player and a chain of demands from your supervisor among others.